Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Food Facts

{Robyn O’Brien shares her personal story and how it inspired her to become a Real Food evangelist.}

TED rarely disappoints. I want to know all of these people. Part of me think I will be smarter for just being in the vicinity of such immense intelligence. This particular TALK is from TEDxAustin.

I genuinely believe there is something to be said for exposing yourself to information. All types. Different points of view, a wide variety of topics, new & different tidbits all the time. It has been a goal of mine for as lone as I can remember to at least keep an open mind about information that I come across. I don't always follow the principles being expounded on or the guidelines being laid out, but at least I can honestly say that I have listened. I certainly am not the type of person that is easily swayed to just believe anything I hear.

I am currently in a quandary over something I LOVE. For me, the negative evidence is mounting against this love of mine. I am growing more and more disappointed by facts that are being uncovered. Food that is. The more I learn about the food we consume as Americans the more frightened I become. It is truly unbelievable what lengths the government, food industry and society as a whole will go to to keep the average person in the dark about the health (or lack there of) of the things we consume. Frightening I tell you. This particular TALK is from TEDxAustin and it is another piece of the puzzle that is coming into focus for me about food. Amazing. Stunning. Disappointing. Scary.

I have been cutting things out of my diet that clearly have no purpose being there other than to satisfy my cravings and things I eat out of shear habit. It is a challenge for me. One I am not proud of, but one that I have little to no will power for. I'm trying though.

I'm just continuing to expose myself to information like this.
I'm using the "Scared Straight" tactic on myself.
It's beginning to work, even if it a slow and arduous process.

Just some other bits of food information that have blown my mind:
Food Matters
Food Inc. 
Nourish
The Gerson Miracle
The Beautiful Truth
Homemade Grits
{Check out my girl Lesley ... putting things into perspective & giving simple tips for application}



1 comment:

ahibs said...

WOW. you have just opened pandora's box....... i don't even know where to start!!

R&R