Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 5, 2009

Post Holiday Haze

The holidays are always such a blur. Between the food, family, friends and fun it is just hard to find a moment to breathe and take it all in. Christmas was the usual traveling from home to home and meal to meal. Each time we entered the home of someone we loved, I paused to be grateful for the fact they sill had their home to welcome us in to. Each time another meal was served and I felt like I couldn't possibly cram another bite of delicious homemade this-or-that in my mouth, I paused to consider how excess can so easily become expectation. With each gift received, I paused to comprehend how truly extravagant my life is. Certainly not in the traditional sense that some might think, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my life is truly blessed. I have so much to be thankful for. I am not proud to say that I take everything for granted more often than I should.
Extravagance can manifest itself in the most benign ways. The simplistic love that my husband showers on me everyday. The effortless way my friends share their laughter with me, as if it was not a truly precious commodity. The spoiled way I overlook my abilities to read and write with ease. The luxury fate has dealt me with that ability to be healthy for so many consecutive years of my life. The job that I too often don't want to drive to. The selfless, unconditional love and life lessons that my grandmother has shared with me so many times over the years. The guidance and support from my parents. The friends who surround me with love and acceptance even when times are tough and moods aren't so great. The people that make up my biological and extended families who are always so willing to give of themselves.
My life is so much more than I deserve. So much more than I believe I can truly appreciate. I have one "New Year's Resolution" ... to seize the moments of my life. Especially the ones that are easily overlooked, the ones that have gradually morphed into expectations and the ones that are truly wonderful in their simplest form.
I wish you all a very happy new year. As we all get a fresh start, take a moment for some self reflection. Try to evaluate objectively. We all have areas to improve on. I wish you luck on yours because I know that mine will be a struggle.

No comments:

R&R