Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 19, 2009

Book vs. Movie


I try to make it a point to read a book before I see the movie adaptation of it. I don't always succeed, but I am definitely in the over for titles I have both read & seen on screen. In the past I have been both pleased and disappointed by the movie version. I get ultra invested when I read. If it is a great author, the mental picture of the characters and the scene is so vivid it might as well be your own personal movie playing in your head. My visions don't often translate to what the producers and directors choose in order to make a blockbuster hit. Mine tend to be slightly more mundane and a tad closer to reality. 
I decided to treat myself to a matinĂ©e on my day off. (I've been cleaning and organizing all weekend ... I needed a break.) Anyhow, I was a little under-whelmed by my cinematic choice. I opted to see Twilight since I completed the entire series of books. I went in with an open mind even though I have heard both good and bad reviews. I can honestly say I would recommend the book series with far greater enthusiasm than I would the movie. It was maybe a 7 on a 1-10 scale. The soundtrack was intriguing and unexpected which was nice. I do also give it credit for doing a great job of setting the plot and tone up the sequel empire that is in the works. 
Regardless of my less than stellar rating, I was happy to have the me-movie-time. It has been a very, very long time since I have done that and it used to be one of my favorite things. Here's hoping that as the sequels evolve they get better and not worse. 

No comments:

R&R